Friday 28 October 2022

Portraits and life drawing

 I've been attending some portraiture sessions recently. Sittings are about 3 hours, so I've been trying to focus on getting better with oil painting and focusing on tones. So I've been working in greyscale with titanium white and ivory black, which lets me focus more on tone and not get distracted by colour so much. My thought is to get my tones and my manipulation of oil right, before jumping into a full pallet. Ill probably use a limited pallet next portrait session, and see how that goes.   

Oil. 8"x10" panel. Three hours.

Oil. 8"x10" panel. Three hours.
I tape off the sides, mostly so I dont get paint over myself walking home as I dont have one of those panel carriers. But it also looks quite nice to have clean edges.

Charcoal. A3. One hour, thirty minutes.

Gouache. A4. One hour, thirty minutes.

For most of October most of my figure drawing has been one in inks. I've been using 3 water pens with different mixes of ink and water. Starting with the thinnest and finishing with thick ink. 
Ink. A3. Thirty minutes.
Some older gouache life drawing from this year. I have quite a lot of old drawings from the past 3-4 years, but I dont think they'll ever see the light of day. I should keep things current, instead of looking to far in the past.

Gouache. A4. Thirty minutes.

Gouache. A4. Twenty seven? minutes.

No comments: